Research is one of the major functions of the University. It serves several purposes: foremost is to produce a cumulative body of verifiable knowledge which enables man to explain, predict and understand the phenomena of interest to him. Everyone believes that a substantial body of knowledge can be used to improve human conditions.
USTP has developed a functional university research program, build-up its human resources and research facilities. Gradually, the Research Division office is developing the critical mass of researchers in the university. More faculty members and graduate students are getting interested in research activities. Consequently, the number of research outputs from various disciplines has increased significantly.
The University was once recognized by the Commission of Higher Education (CHED), Manila as the Zonal Research Center for Region 10 and CARAGA. In January 2007, the University was a recipient of the CHED award “Best Research Programs” in the Philippines which proves the University’s track record in research.
The University has five (5) research agenda over the next five (5) years as follows:
- Agendum 1: Aiming for the international research arena and internationalization of Paper Presentation, Publication, and Citation
- Agendum 2: Accessing Research Grants from Foreign/International/National/Local funding sources and fellowship grants
- Agendum 3: Creating an organizational climate conducive to research productivity and linking the university’s research scientific community, industries, and HEIs
- Agendum 4: Establishing Intellectual Property Rights Registration and Licensing Agreements for transfer of technologies
- Agendum 5: Aiming for highly-distinctive Research Awards and Recognitions nationally and internationally.
RESEARCH PRIORITY AREAS
- Research Priority Areas in Advance Science for basic and applied research in Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Engineering, Architecture, and Marine Aquatic ResearchResearches in this fields can be basic or applied which are the appropriate take-off points for technology innovations and can improve human and environmental conditions. The Engineering and Architecture researches foci are on the designs of systems that would result into greater economic productivity for the regional industries.
- Research Priority Areas in Environment, Life Science/Biology, Health, Nutrition, Food Safety and Food SecurityThe researches for this fields contribute to the scientific knowledge base for environment, food and health which focused primarily on applying fundamental principles from chemistry, biology, engineering and social sciences.
- Research Priority Areas in Information Technology, Automation and Control, Material Science, Computer Science, Nanotechnology, etc.This includes Information and Communications Technology, (ICT), Electronics and Industrial Technology researches like signal processing, design of automatedsystems, product development and enterprise incubation.
- Research Priority Areas in Education, Policy Studies, Socio-Economics, Demographics, Ethnographic, and Linguistics StudiesResearches focus on the systematic analysis and impact on higher education governance, efficiency, effectiveness and quality in Philippine Higher Education. Studies include legislative and executive decisions made in order to effect better systems and operations in the bureaucracy.
- Research Priority Areas that address pressing problems in disaster risks, climate change, gender and development, poverty alleviation, etc.This involves researches that infused innovations necessary to achieve sustainable economic growth that improves competitiveness, expands job opportunities and reduces society vulnerability.